Saturday, July 1, 2017

A Rushing Wind

Sitting in the backyard on this beautiful summer morning brings about a strong sense of oneness with nature.  Perfect temperature in the low 80’s keeps me from running for the shelter of the cool house.  Extreme fatigue and acute weakness are  my constant companions & makes the notion of getting any housework done an unattainable goal.  But the beauty of my surroundings can not be denied

My Chocolate Lab is lying close beside me and I understand a dog’s contentment doing nothing but relaxing in the moment.  I wait for time to pass, without so much as a concern for agendas, accomplishments or pressing matters.  In dog terms – waiting for a yummy treat or playful belly rub.  The simple pleasure of watching Shade’s life could really teach “this old dog” some new tricks!

It is hard to ignore the gentle breeze moving the tops of the trees lining our property.  The dazzling, vibrant colored leaves seem to be dancing to a rhythm only they can hear.   As hard as I may try, the direction of their movement remains a mystery to me. 

The force guiding such motion is invisible to the eye and appears without warning.   A light and gentle rushing from the west.  A hard and forceful rising out of the east.  Flowing and driving winds from the north and south - breathing life into the air.


I look on in amazement, responding to the rhythmic movement of each branch.  Gathering all my strength, I leave the comfort of the porch and venture out onto the grass.  With feet planted firmly on the ground, I extend my arms outward and upward.  Closing my eyes can usually bring about feelings of unbalance – but in this moment – I stand firm. 

The rushing wind seems to encircle me causing my senses to come alive.  I do not move or bend, acting like the tree branches around me, but choose instead to remain perfectly still.  Without hesitating I know that what I am experiencing is the movement of the Holy Spirit.  That mysterious 3rd person of the Trinity - which cannot be seen – is embracing me and I am in the presence of the Divine.

In full surrender, not anticipating or predicting its movement - I respond to the gift of knowing that I am held and cared for.  

Ever so gently, in time with the trees around me...begin to sway.


3 comments:

  1. This is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow chris, beautiful.really think you should consider writing a book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your writing brings me right next to you feeling the wind awaken the spirit within. Thanks for sharing your beautiful experience ❣️
    God Bless, Katie Kelsch

    ReplyDelete

The Truth

Unfiltered ~ Unedited The truth crept up on me like the unwanted vine overpowering the roses growing outside my kitchen window.    With unde...