Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Sweet Music

The metal chairs have all been unfolded and arranged in a wide semi circle.
As each member of the orchestra files into the rows of chairs, he or she sits
down in sections of instruments grouped together. Although one singular
orchestra, the musicians are reminded of their individuality as they peer at
the other players and instruments present; each radically different from their
own.  And yet, in a few short minutes these eclectic instruments will create
beautiful, sweet music together.
This unity or shift from a room of musicians to an orchestra is brought about
by the almighty conductor; the iconic woman standing at the podium in a
long-tailed black and white suit waving a baton at little prodigies.
Although at no point during the performance does the conductor actually play
an instrument, without her present the orchestra would cease to exist.



With my hands clutching a small imaginary baton, I feel a sense of power and excitement.    At my command a symphony lies waiting to be composed with a melody waiting to be heard.   The players are all assembled eager to please.  I am perched high on the podium, self conscious and wary of my ability to bring this song to life. 

I am ready to let go and give in, releasing myself from any feelings of despair.  In return for this release, I gain confidence in my capacity to create a masterpiece.  I am the conductor and responsible for all that follows from the movement of my baton.

Every morning when I arise I am faced with the reality of my circumstances; but I understand that my job is not for the light-hearted. And I understand that the show must always go on, no matter how I feel.  I channel my longing to pickup and play these instruments before me.  They are within my grasp but better suited for those treasured “players” in my life who gladly, lovingly and joyfully carry the weight of each note.  I am but the catalyst to bring this symphony to a swelling crescendo.

And so, I begin to direct - unifying the performers, setting the tempo, listening attentively, correcting critically and shaping the sound of the ensemble.  I make adjustments, work out interpretations and relay my vision for the score. 

Each guiding stroke moves us wondrously closer to a newly 
constructed rendition of a timeless classic.

*special thanks to Aileen for her contribution to this piece

1 comment:

The Truth

Unfiltered ~ Unedited The truth crept up on me like the unwanted vine overpowering the roses growing outside my kitchen window.    With unde...