Sunday, September 4, 2016

Paradise


The solitary leaf falling at my feet has me witnessing the arrival of fall.  I have never felt myself clinging to sunshine & warm breezes; wishing for summer to never leave me in the cold.  My paradise soon to be replaced by the glory found in autumns promise.

I have taken to sitting on the back deck in the early hours of the morning.  The quiet and peacefulness of this setting makes my coffee taste “ever the sweeter”. This summer more than any prior had me enjoying paradise moments here in our backyard.  I commented to Ken how I’ve swam more laps in our pool (a small victory and reward for needing exercise).  I have rested and enjoyed numerous “siestas” on the comfy outdoor couch.  Even the blacktop driveway gave me opportunities to walk with my new, ever changing gait and swag.  The brick around the pool providing a perfect setting for practicing my yoga stretches.  I was warmed by many evening fires courtesy of Ken and his master fire building skills.  And the final triumph of this paradise came in a bright, shiny, copper cup holding my new favorite cocktail - The Kentucky Mule!

I came into this paradise with a greater appreciation- enjoying, savoring, experiencing and beholding all its offerings.  I was not busy with new things or completing other tasks.  There was a freedom which allowed me to become part of the landscape and fully enter into this holy bliss.  

But today I grab a sweatshirt before journeying onto the deck.  I immediately notice steam rising from my coffee cup.  The September chill is ushering in a new season and drawing a close to my paradise found.   Past experience has me happy to begin the fall season.  I ready myself for a wardrobe change, orange and red mums, 4 o’clock tea watching “Ellen”, early sunsets and shorter days.

But before letting go and beginning anew – I take just a brief moment and curse that solitary fallen leaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Truth

Unfiltered ~ Unedited The truth crept up on me like the unwanted vine overpowering the roses growing outside my kitchen window.    With unde...