Thursday, July 28, 2016

That Hook


Fishing hook in the sea
Can’t exactly say when it happened but I love Country Music.  Not the old stuff, just todays hits.  I am drawn to a good country ballad or love song (preferring mostly those sung by strong & handsome fellows).  I can’t get enough of those gents singing about love, faith, pickup trucks & beer!

Years ago, my sister Pat and her husband Jim tuned into Country Radio before having any commercial appeal.  I remember thinking them crazy to choose this genre of music and believed somehow they were abducted by aliens from the south!   Ken has always had an appreciation for Southern Rock Bands and crooners like Willie Nelson.  To this day, he loves hearing those songs from the 80’s & 90’s.  But to my surprise, Ken’s Pandora stations are now mostly set with playlists including my new favorite country “Good Old Boys”! 

I must admit my attraction to this style of music had more to do with a hook that grabbed my attention, than anything else.  These melodic and rhythmic verses repeat themselves, over and over getting stuck in my head.  Couldn’t let go of such mind blowing lines as: 
“Got Gravel in my Travel”,
“My Big Green Tractor”,
“God is Great, Beer is Good & People are Crazy” (to name a few)

These days I’m usually sitting back listening and waiting for that softly sung phrase to catch my attention.   And like Country Music I have learned to be attentive to the Hook found in all aspects of my life.  Between the rising of the sun with my morning prayer to the evening sky closing out the day; I find at least one Hook which captures my attention.

Scripture has always been just that for me.  As a child learning verses and now as an adult relearning meaningful Hooks from the master himself, Jesus.  Last week, Ken & I journeyed to mass after a few weeks absence.  Nothing specular happened for that hour – except when I heard a familiar Gospel story.  Couldn’t wipe the smile from my face or stop feeling the same giddiness I get hearing that perfect riff in a country song!

“Your faith has saved you; go in peace” … And I am awakened!

I’ve taken to receiving daily inspirational and uplifting Hooks from many of the apps on my smartphone.   I even have a daily “Seize the Day” calendar on the kitchen counter.  I seldom, if ever, miss pulling off yesterdays “hook” to capture new words meant for my hearing today.  Hooks come from all angles – to help me stay on course and when I stumble across the perfect one – I become aware that a Chart Breaking Hit is surely in the making!

“The healthy wear a crown that only the sick can see” …. And just like that, I’m Hooked!

Without fail a good Hook teaches me to “pull myself up by my bootstraps, dust off the dirt, grab the one I love and head off into tomorrow – of course, with a cold beer in my hand”

The Truth

Unfiltered ~ Unedited The truth crept up on me like the unwanted vine overpowering the roses growing outside my kitchen window.    With unde...