Friday, July 29, 2016

Old Jeans

It’s a seat with a view I’ve grown accustom to.  All around me at the kitchen table are piles of unfinished work projects, daily to do lists, a wellness journal, and current magazines and devotional prayer books.  I’ve carved out this special place in my home with a spectacular window view of the backyard.  This is the seat and position I take gaining inspiration and creativity throughout many winter days. 


A relaxing Sunday in November has me sitting here in my usual fashion.  But instead of grabbing for a task to keep my mind occupied;  I look outside the window to see Ken busy at work.   The “Honey Do” list I gave him days earlier neatly folded in the back pocket of his jeans.  His movements and gestures are effortless as he completes each assignment.  He has a purpose beyond the obvious need to clear and winterize the backyard for the cold days ahead.  His persistence and determination stem from his desire to please me and make me happy.

I am painfully aware of my limitations and wish only to be next to him as he walks back and forth from the house to the garage.  Am I really sitting here feeling sorry for not being able body enough to complete the most mundane jobs?   You bet your ass I am!

There is only one thing that makes me chuckle and lightens my mood.  From my seated position at the kitchen table I take note of not only what Ken is doing but now I am keenly aware of the jeans he has chosen to wear today.    An old faded, distressed washed, light blue denim pair with rips and tears at the bottom of each leg.  I thought these outdated, wide leg hideous jeans were long gone, thrown in the garbage unworthy of a donation to any charity.   But low and behold they have resurfaced.

I don’t want to laugh.  I don’t want to find the humor in his ridiculous jeans.  But I can’t help myself from feeling lucky and joyful.  This man I met as a young wide eyed girl would accomplish all the dreams I held for him.  He would be a great provider, terrific dad and family man.  But in my wildest dreams I could never imagine the love he would hold for me and the outpouring of kindness he displays on a daily basis.   The comfort in which he wears those jeans is the same comfort I feel when he holds my hand to guide my every step.    I would never believe a love could grow deeper and richer with the passing of time.   But ours is a Love like no other - a little worn out , tried and tested from the journey  – very much like those jeans he choose to wear today!


1 comment:

The Truth

Unfiltered ~ Unedited The truth crept up on me like the unwanted vine overpowering the roses growing outside my kitchen window.    With unde...