Tuesday, August 2, 2016

My Purpose

Asking questions is the best way to really know and understand someone.  A good question can lead directly to the heart of any matter.  A better question will stop a person in their tracks, redirecting the very path they are on.  I stumbled upon a question that was being asked rhetorically to a group of friends with whom I was enjoying lunch.  The question was asked to merely make a statement rather than elicit a response.  But I would take this question with me – neatly tuck it away in my mind – where it remained long after the meal.

The question was “What is your Life’s Purpose?”  Simple – yes, but I was empty and had nothing to offer as a response.  I think about my life and clearly see its purpose at different times.  Memories allow me to recall the many seasons of my life. My spiritual purpose has always been to know, acknowledge and love Jesus. But today when I consider the question of “My Purpose” - I have a difficult time finding the right answer.  In my usual fashion, I begin the process of overthinking and overanalyzing. Feeling frustrated I tuck the question away again, and hope for some inspiration.


A few days later I am enjoying another lunch, this time with my friend, Corinne.  She is my MS buddy, heaven sent and a blessing in my life.  We quickly talk about that which is our bond – new symptoms, how we are handling the heat, doctor visits, and challenges both physical and mental.    We are both anxious to get past these formalities and move onto other important topics (which are more nurturing to our spirit).   With little delay I ask her the question, which has been at the very forefront of my thoughts.   “Corinne, I’ve been pondering this question and can’t seem to find a meaningful response - What is your life purpose?”

Without missing a beat and in no more than a split second - Corinne replies, “To be God's Witness”.  She knew her answer to this question before I even asked!  I unashamedly admit that I do not know my own purpose but will gladly steal hers and make it my own!!   Corinne’s response inspired & reminded me that our purpose must be greater than our challenges.  

All this reflection had me remember something important from my past.   When I was searching for our wedding invitation I found traditional formats to be boring. Instead, I chose a card with a painting of a bride surrounded by women preparing for the “celebration” – it captured the essence of the season and purpose of my life at that very moment.  The caption under the picture was a familiar verse from the bible.

"To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heavens"
Ecclesiastes 3:1

I have been trying so hard to “get the right” answer.  Gazing into the unknown to see my usefulness, trying to predict my next course of action. But maybe I’ve been asking the wrong question. A glance backward illuminates how my life’s purpose is always growing and changing with the passing of time.  And that age grants us further possibilities and seasons – all awaiting a new purpose.   

Perhaps the question I should be asking is… “What are you doing to fully enter into this season of your life?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Truth

Unfiltered ~ Unedited The truth crept up on me like the unwanted vine overpowering the roses growing outside my kitchen window.    With unde...