Thursday, March 23, 2017

Renewal

This was not my normal Monday morning ritual. In fact, I would venture to say that few women I know were beginning their week this way. Most of my friends and family are busy with kids and jobs (never mind the expense).  This kind of indulgence is reserved for vacations or a special occasion. But here I was, about to partake in the joyful luxuries uncovered at a day spa.  The catchphrase for bubble bath soap kept playing in my head, Calgon - take me away!

“What is it you are needing today?”  she asked in a whispered tone.

Prior to stepping into the lavender scented room, I felt anxious and self-conscious. But, it was time to surrender all misgivings as I undressed and wrapped myself in the white terry robe that had been laid out.

“What is it you are needing today?” she asked again, while placing a warm cloth over my face.

This question stirs my soul. Endless possibilities come quickly to mind – but I simply reply,   “Renewal”.   Her confusion confirmed that this response was not the customary – relaxation, deep tissue or anti-age treatment - she is used to hearing. She moved her head, cocking it slightly, resembling my dog, Shade, when unsure of a command.  At the same time her eyes seemed to squint, as if looking directly into the sun.  She considered the options: essential oils, lotions and potions, that would bring me to the state of renewal I desire.

My body craves repair and restoration, like a fine old piece of furniture found in an antique shop.  I am prime for the fixing – ready to shine.  But my response to her question came more from my inner yearning. 

The past months have left me – shall I say – in need of “Rebirth”.  Like any meaningful journey, adjustment and realignment is required to set me straight.  I have to let go of the fears that carry me off course.  Release my mind from the worries that weaken my faithfulness.  No easy task for anyone to achieve! 

This remarkable spa day and that simple question awakened my need for renewal.   There is much work ahead of me because conversion takes time. But I am so ready to feel better and so ready to further trust God’s plan.   No easy task… but the placement of that warm soft cloth on my face was a really good start!



1 comment:

  1. Thank you dear Chris for sharing your journey toward Renewal! A beautiful and challenging goal during Lent. Thinking of you often XXOO

    ReplyDelete

The Truth

Unfiltered ~ Unedited The truth crept up on me like the unwanted vine overpowering the roses growing outside my kitchen window.    With unde...