Friday, March 10, 2017

Walking Shoes

I wrote this story in October 2015.  How vividly I recall the memory & details of those walking shoes
~~ 

I didn’t want todays writing prompt!   It came to me when I was pissed off and feeling sorry for myself.   As I’ve mentioned before - I am a person “of the light” feeling Hope, Grace and Love as remedies for all the things I must endure.   For the most part, God has gifted me with an unwavering faith.    But I do have moments when my resolve crumbles leaving my present attitude to truly suck!

It was the shoes in my closet that took me to this dark place. The object of my affection for so many years was sending me down a dark path.  The task at hand was to clean out my bedroom closet and go through the 50+ pairs taking up valuable floor space.  My love affair with boots, wedges, high heels, flip flops and leather flats was long gone.   Out of necessity (that is the need to walk), I have given up trying to be fashionable with my footwear.   Making this transition to practical / comfortable was a no brainer.  The hard part today was the actual removal and elimination of these beautiful pieces of me that no longer fit.

Sitting on the floor in my bedroom, I surround myself with boxes containing shoes in every shape, size and color.  Lifting open the covers, I find myself reminiscing about where each of these shoes, now lifeless and without purpose have taken me.  To the office, celebrations & parties, the gym, shopping, hiking & long walks.   I seem to have the words from a Dr. Seuss children’s book running through my head - “Oh, the places you have gone, the places you have been.”(Or something like that)

The shoes were more than just a reminder of days past – but a vivid depiction of where I will no longer be able to walk.   Looking at each of these right and left shoes thrown in a pile gave me some “closure”.  I allow myself to mourn the loss of these pretty articles but most importantly to let go of what is no longer mine.  It is the right time to clean house and move to yet another level of acceptance. 

Today’s clearing gives my new sensible shoes a place to call home, and at the same time the power to take me where I am meant to go.

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...” 

-Dr. Seuss

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Truth

Unfiltered ~ Unedited The truth crept up on me like the unwanted vine overpowering the roses growing outside my kitchen window.    With unde...